About Me

My photo
After YEARS of planning and putting off this trip, I finally took the leap and began traveling the country! I have a huge 33ft camper, and my copilots are my cat and dog, Milo and Cooper. We left Pennsylvania on July 13th and I have never been happier! The plan was to be back by the spring of 2018, and to hit all 49 land states along the way. Well I made it through 14 of them before running out of money! I am now living in Wyoming, paying off my credit card debt and saving up for the next leg of the trip! You can read all about my crazy adventures here! Please leave your thoughts and questions on any post, I’d love feedback and to hear what you think as I go through this insane time!

Friday, August 25, 2017

Week 4!

Wow! I knew I had been slacking on updating this, but I didn’t realize so much time had gone by! A lot of the places I stay I don’t have cell service, so I never think to pull out my laptop, and the other times I’m just too busy exploring that I don’t save time to write about it! But I am now in a remote boondocking site in Wyoming with an amazing view, and cell service, and I am going to get this caught up! There really isn’t much else to do but sit in this awesome new chair I found yesterday and soak up the view, so it’s finally the perfect spot to just veg out and write about it all!

August 3rd I had decided last minute that I wanted a break. The campsite I was at thought I was staying a night longer than I had actually planned, so I figured it was a good enough reason to just not leave! Cooper had been acting a little strange and had been to the vets the day before (turns out he’s fine, just tired of being in the truck!), so I thought it would be a nice bonus day for the pets! That was until I was checking my bank statement and saw a charge for a place in Missouri. I hadn’t been to Missouri yet, and as far as I could remember I had absolutely nothing planned out for places to stay. And then I remembered a campground that I had left a voicemail for, and an email, and a request for a site on their website… All of that, and when they called to tell me I could have a site, I never wrote it down! I still had to do my laundry, and wasn’t ready to drive, so I headed into town and took my time leaving. Of course this made me get to our site for the first time after dark, but luckily it was a pull-thru spot so I had no trouble. I heard people in the pool next to my site, and by the time I had set up the camper they had left so I got it all to myself! I was staying near the Lake of the Ozarks, and there is a new show named ‘Ozark’ that just came out on Netflix. It looks really creepy, so I purposely haven’t watched it, knowing I was coming here! So because of that, I didn’t stay in the water for long! All I could hear were really loud bugs, and couldn’t shake the feeling that I was going to be murdered in the pool!

The next day I went to check out the lake and realized just how wrong I was about the area! I was nowhere near the middle of nowhere! I’m assuming because there are no nearby beaches that they built up the lake to have their ‘beach’ scene – every spot on the lake was built up with resorts, bars, and yacht clubs! They even had a strip with the generic t-shirt and towel stores you would find at the shore. After exploring for a bit I went to Ha Ha Tonka State Park, which is the remains of an old castle. It was pretty neat, but it looked like they had recently put up fences to keep visitors away from the ruins. That night I went to my first concert by myself! One of the resorts was hosting 2 local country bands with no cover charge, and though it wasn’t really my type of music, I had a great time!

Saturday, the 5th, I had planned on leaving, and was actually completely packed up, literally rolling out of my site when the woman from the office came over. I had seen there was a bad storm coming but didn’t think they would have a free site on a Saturday, so I never asked. Always ask!! I didn’t even have to change sites! After unhitching, Amber video called me from my brother’s baby reveal party! So I got to read his birthday card to him, and watch the reveal! They are having a girl! (I was hoping so!!) The rest of the day I just hung out at the camper. The storm wasn’t that bad (she had warned me of a tornado!) but I was happy to not be driving in it!

On the 6th we drove to Sharp RV Park in St. Joseph Missouri. Don’t camp there. Well, with Passport America it was only $14 for full hook ups, and I had good cell service, just never pay full price! It was more like an RV parking lot, and a lot of the sites were full timers. When I pulled in, I had pulled off the entrance onto a little clearing, only to find out that I had parked at my campsite! Later on a neighboring site had heard I was traveling alone from the owner, and gave me a bottle of wine for my travels! So at least the people were nice!

The following day I was finally able to get an eye appointment in St. Joseph! It turns out that I actually am not blind, I passed every test, but I have a stigmatism so light doesn’t enter my eyes the way that it should. I really thought I was blind… well, blinder than I used to be! I’ve been having trouble with road signs, and will avoid driving at night, so I am very happy I am getting glasses to fix that! (Of course they don’t make them on the spot, so it’s been 18 days and I still am trying to figure out how to get them to me!)

From there we drove to Elkhorn Rec Area, about 30 minutes outside of Omaha. I stopped at Indian Cave State Park along the way which was a pretty neat stop. It would have been nice as a day trip though, not only passing through. The strangest part of the drive was that on all the nearby roads, leaving Missouri and entering Nebraska, there were hundreds of butterflies sunbathing on the pavement! Even on the busy-ish highway, they would lay there until they had just enough time to fly up and die on your windshield…. So that was upsetting.. but they sure looked pretty up close in those final moments! That night a girl, Rachel, pulled up and was camping out of her jeep! Over a few beers and a fire we told each other about our adventures. She was driving across country in just a week to start a sort of internship at a vineyard in Northern California!! She also had recently gotten back from a spur of the moment trip to Europe! So jealous! She told me that while she was there, some days $10 could buy all 3 meals, beer, and ice cream! Also a few of her flights were as low as $15! (Next up, I need to go to Europe!)

On the 7th she had left before I woke up but left her number on the table which made me really happy! That day I finally found a solar panel kit that was available for in store pickup nearby! For about $250 and some searching for instructions online, I was soon charging my battery with the sun! Yay! Later on I went to Ralston for free town music that I had found on Facebook. I also checked out the Village Bar, a really cool dive bar with arcade games! The only downside was they didn’t have a kitchen. I got talking to 2 locals who filled me in on their tornadoes and other things unique to Nebraska. Apparently, even though Ralston is so close to Omaha, they have an agreement with the city where they can’t increase in size, but they also aren’t included in Omaha’s taxes. So you get this little tiny town, practically attached to the city! Before leaving the bartender gave me a glass with their logo on it as a souvenir!


On the 8th I packed up and hit the road for Windom, Minnesota. I felt bad that I was only passing through the NW corner of Iowa, so I was happy when I saw a sign for the highest elevation in the state, right off the highway! It was only about 1000ft above sea level, and to add to that it was surrounded by flat farm lands, so it didn’t seem higher than anything else in sight! But I signed Milo, Cooper, and I into the visitor log, so Iowa stop accomplished! Shortly before that I had given into Milo's meowing demands, and had pulled into a gas station to let him do his business. I'm glad I stopped there, because inside I found a local Native American handmade pipe! I don't think I'll ever smoke it, but will probably hang it as an ornament! So Iowa souvenir also a success! When we got to our campsite I went grocery shopping. I've started to get used to not finding everything in small stores, but get totally frustrated when a store is big enough to have what I want, but locally owned and not organized in a "chain store" way that I can relate to! At check out the bagger offered to bring my bags to my car for me, and it seemed I had offended him by declining. After watching for a few minutes, I saw him helping a girl with only 2 bags who was talking on her cell phone, struggling to find her keys in her purse, while he stood there patiently waiting. I suppose maybe that's normal? To me it just seemed rude! Back at my site there was an adult baseball game going on in the park, with probably most of the townspeople attending. It was $6 to watch though, and because I like Netflix more than baseball, I didn't stick around. 

Well the sun is going down here in Wyoming, and it was chilly when it was out, so I will continue on tomorrow with week 5 and 6! I promise I won't leave this site until I am up to date! (And then won't let it go another 23 days in between!) Next up is the Dakotas and the Grand Teton Mountains, hands down two of my favorite experiences yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment